A settlement has existed at Fawley for many centuries, and the village itself was recorded in the Domesday Book. A church at Fawley was first recorded in 971. The present church (All Saints) was built between 1170 and 1340.
Also read “History of All Saints’”
Holbury is part of the parish of Fawley. Historically a small and scarcely populated village, Holbury and the adjoining hamlet of Hardley now has a sizeable population.
This growth has been principally due to the influence of the Esso oil refinery at Fawley and the area’s proximity to the city of Southampton. The Good Shepherd in Roewood Road is the focus for people in this locality.
The people of Langley and West Common are served by St Francis Church, West Common.
A settlement at Calshot is believed to have existed since the fifth century AD. It is mentioned as “Cerdicesora” in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.
In more recent times, Calshot was home to the RAF and also to evacuees from Tristan Da Cuhna during a volcanic eruption. The small community of Calshot is served by St George’s Chapel.